Weave Sync 1.0 Release Notes
- If you have been installing the Weave Sync add-on from any place other than
addons.mozilla.org, we recommend you install 1.0 from addons.mozilla.org.
You should also install this version on all the devices you want to sync.
- If you have the version from anywhere else (for example:
https://people.mozilla.com/~cbeard/weave/dist/latest-weave.xpi), note that
they are developer snapshot versions that we use to test new features.
Upgrading from Previous Versions
- When you upgrade to version 1.0 from any version other than 1.0RC4, Weave Sync
will do a fresh upload of all your data to the server. For the majority of users,
this should happen in a transparent manner. However, if you are using the Weave
servers primarily as a back-up and do not have your data anywhere else, you
should ensure you have at least one local copy before upgrading to 1.0.
- If you are using Firefox on Maemo and are upgrading to 1.0, you should first upgrade
your desktop. Since 1.0 forces a fresh upload of all your data, performing the upgrade
from a desktop class machine will ensure Firefox doesn't experience any sluggishness
during this upload.
- Favicons for your bookmarks are currently not synced to the server.
- Your bookmarks will be synchronized in chunks to improve performance. Depending
on the type of computer you have and the amount of data you have, this could
take anywhere from a few minutes to a few hours. During this time, your bookmarks
may appear to be unsorted.
- Weave will make a backup of your bookmarks before taking any actions that cause full
deletion (for example, Start Over). Firefox also keeps a number of daily backups,
which may be restored at any time. To restore from a backup, please refer to
- History items are synced in chunks as well. The initial sync wil upload 1000 items
and additional items will be sent in subsequent sync attempts.
Passwords & Master Password
- Your master password is not synced. This means if you use a master password on your laptop
but not on your mobile phone, then your passwords will not be protected with your
master password on your mobile phone.
- If you use a master password, Weave Sync will automatically connect after you enter in
your master password. Weave Sync will stay disconnected until you enter your master
password or you choose to manually connect.
- We currently sync your 25 most recently-used tabs, therefore if you have more than 25 tabs open,
you will not see all of them. You can find the tabs from other computers under History >
Tabs From Other Computers.
- If you click the Start Over option with the intention of simply resetting your client
and/or server state, you will still be prompted to enter your username, password, and secret phrase.
- If you reconnect a device that has been inactive for a while, there's a possibility that your
current data may be overwritten by stale data from that device. For example, an old password
might reappear even though you changed it on your active devices after the stale data syncs.
One possible workaround if you are connecting a really stale device is to Start Over and
replace the local data with data from the server.
- This mostly affects bookmarks and saved passwords.
Forgotten Password and Secret Phrase
- If you don't remember your password and/or passphrase, be sure to look in Firefox's Password Manager
for the two entries starting with chrome://weave (Mozilla Services Password) and chrome://weave
(Mozilla Services Passphrase) to refresh your memory.
Clear Private Data
- If you clear all private data from your local computer, Weave will not sync those changes,
and history searches (including from the Location Bar) will not be in sync between computers.